Everything You Need To Know About Hearing Tests
Do you have trouble listening to people in a mobbed room? Or do you frequently ask people to speak slowly, clearly, and loudly? If yes, then you need to take a hearing test right away.
The hearing test allows you to identify the potential problems, track changes in hearing patterns, and make adjustments accordingly.
So when should you go for a hearing test?
- Why do you need hearing tests? Many people experience a hearing problem due to cognitive issues or long-term noise exposure. It can also be caused by excess ear wax, infection, heredity or high drug intake. Though at the early stages you may not realize this problem, you can check for symptoms like difficulty in hearing people in a crowded room or unable to hear your TV at a moderate volume.
- Hearing test procedures: Once you decide to visit the audiologist, make sure that you inform him about your previous medical history. The entire procedure is painless and would take only 30 to 40 minutes.
- The audiologist will ask you to wear earphones in one ear and listen to a short tune or rhythm at different volumes. OR
- He may ask you to listen to a speech at different volumes and repeat the lyrics or wordings of the speech. This activity is basically performed in silent or noisy room.
- In all, both the above activities will help the audiologist to understand the defect in your left or right ear.
- Interpreting results: The intensity of sound is measured in decibels (also called as dB). When you are normally talking to people, the intensity of speech is 60 decibels and when you are shouting on someone the intensity increases and reaches to 80 decibels. So your hearing report can be assessed as follows:
- Mild hearing loss: 26 to 40 dB
- Moderate hearing loss: 41 to 55 dB
- Moderate-to-severe hearing loss: 56 to 70 dB
- Severe hearing loss: 71 to 90 dB
- Profound hearing loss: 91 to 100 dB
- Hearing loss treatment: Your audiologist may suggest you to use hearing aids depending on the type and degree of loss. Nowadays, hearing aids are designed to easily fit behind the ear or even inside your ear canal. You can even go for digital hearing aids, which ensure better flexibility and style options.
Suffering from a hearing problem? Audiologie Centre-Ouest offers a complete suite of diagnostic services for all ages at an affordable price!